www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Gap in our hearts

Today Baby Martha passed away. Despite our efforts to get her the heart surgery she needed we were too little too late. I am filled with anger that this can happen to a child in Tanzania whist in Australia she would be fit and healthy with relatively minor surgery. It is just so unfair. It is this unfairness that drives me to do what I do but the pain and anger sometimes consumes me. I try to distance myself to put a space between the pain and the reality of this injust world. It helps for most people here in Australia, to pretend that it has nothing to do with them. That it is not their responsibility. For me I can only hold this gap open for a short while and then it all comes tumbling down. How can I sit here with all these comforts around me when the basics are not being met in other places, in others' lives? What kind of a messed up world do we live in, really?! When you think of it you can imagine Gods and aliens just looking down on us and shaking their heads. But I wont give up!!! This precious life that was lost today will be a reminder of not only my own human fragility but that we must fight and fight harder for those who's lives are far more fragile than my own. R.I.P baby Martha, I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment