www.flickr.com

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Huge Gap I Experienced When In India



I travelled recently to a community near Sagar in India with my colleague Sarojitha to see the Child and Maternal Health situation there. We travelled from the flashy Delhi airport early in the morning and went via Bhopal straight into the community. I was confronted and shocked by what I found. That a mother can hold in her arms a healthy son and a malnourished daughter, that there can be places like Delhi airport and health posts that were basically a veranda with very limited resources. Our field staff were doing what they could as were the local health workers. The solution to this issue was not about if there were enough resources but that it was about priorities. Priorities in the household to look after girls as well as boys and priorities in the government to build not only flashy airports but also well equipped and established health facilities. The Gap in India is obvious. On one side makes me question basic human qualities of universal compassion but it makes me even more determined that this kind of injustice can not and must not continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment