www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Poems from the Gap

The faces of hatred
and those of affection
here to stay and love us
whatever our direction

Hope rubs shoulders
and elbows are sharpened
the swords of attrition
cutting open the new day

Lanterns swing from their handles
as light peers in
Those eyes are upon us
we cannot hide from them

This is a time of hope and promise
of new beginnings
This is a rare chance
as fear takes its grip, I can already feel it slipping

***

One more hill
One more valley
These bananas are heavy
today

I’ve never tasted
the dirt
I’ve never seen
my skin

Shimmer and shake
under the Acacia tree
I can dig for water
I can dig down deep

Then lay these shady bones
to chatter and chant
about times past

When bananas weren’t heavy
and the world was flat

***

Washing our hands
We feast on coffee beans

Women in kangas
The sound of a drum
Whooo la la la la
Someone is getting married

But why is she so sad?
Does she not love him?
Or is it the years of hard work ahead?

No my dear
Have you never been so happy
That it made you sad?

***

No comments:

Post a Comment