www.flickr.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Revolution Through Collective Resilence NOT Individual Impatience

When I ask colleagues to articulate my approach to work they usually respond something like this; You are very annoying but also very nice about it. Yes I am annoying I will admit this much, in fact I am proud of it. The reason is I don't seek revolution through seismic shifts but through consistence, persistence, and commitment to do social good (whist of course being nice about it). It is easy (and very important) to get upset about the injustices of the world, to be cynical about the nature of the human heart. I believe this cynicism comes from a place of our own impatience and from our own failures because of it.

A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time. I am the first to support the idea of a need for a fundamental change in power, I see it in the eyes of children in the communities I visit. I also support the idea that this change is urgent and must occur in a relatively short period of time. The difference is that this time should not be governed by people like me, pushing people into change, but that we all own our human experience and expression. Gandhi once said 'be the change you want to see in the world', that does not mean that be the change you want to see and then force others to do it as well. If we did we would fall into the same trap that oppressive institutions and regimes apply in meeting their own selfish ends. So I suggest simply that revolution must occur through collective resilience not individual impatience. Let me explain.

Firstly I do not believe in inherent good and evil but that we all have to ability to do either. If through my work I try pit the good as I see it against the evil, say of a large exploitative corporation versus citizens of a small Tanzanian village, then what is my vision of revolution? My vision of revolution is 'us against them'. The general conclusion many come to in this situation is a vision of trying to overthrow and oppress the oppressors. To let them taste the medicine of poverty and injustice. Is this a better world? Is this the change we want to see? I think not. 

When we do see evil in the world we want it to stop, we want to reach Utopia Now. This is a good intent but for who do we want this? For our own sense of mind so we can live our lives in peace or for those this evil is thrust upon? I would suggest that often in my case I want it to stop for my own sense of mind. I would further suggest that in raising expectations of those around us in reaching 'Utopia Now' we risk causing more damage than good when it is not immediately realised.

So I have learnt 'to hurry slowly'. That means I cannot lose the sense of urgency of the injustices upon this planet but I must do what I can do to allow those most affected, most vulnerable, to have the space and resources to be the change they want to see in the world. That is my role no matter how long it takes, no matter how annoying I get.

If we are serious about walking this path to Utopia it requires more than patience and urgency as one but we need to make sure we celebrate our steps along the way. We will face challenges as those in power feel threatened and fight back. Often they fight not because they wish harm but are scared harm may come to them. We must meet these challenges with broad collective resilience and with love. This resilience can only be achieved when people feel they are part of the process, they have a stake in it, and not a subject of our impatience. Further, the potential for both good and evil has shown simply that meeting evil with evil does not equal peace. Therefore in countering evil we must lead with two things; unconditional compassion and great awareness.

So whilst I am tempted at time with the anger that consumes my heart of the injustices I see in the world, to knock down those forces oppressing the poor and vulnerable, I must realise this is not just my fight. It is the fight within all of us; to be urgent and impatient, to hurry slowly with our brothers and sisters, to be the change we want to see in the world. We can do it, take a deep breath and continue on the path.


No comments:

Post a Comment